In the last decade, all that was perceived as a future dream has come to reality. Technology has advanced at a very great pace, almost everything has become integrated with the Internet. This Digitalisation was perceived as a fantasy a decade back. Internet of Things is an interconnected network of numerous computers, digital and mechanical machines, and people, enabling a remote controlling of connected devices from a single point/place. Data can be transferred to any device with ease in this network of connected with the common thread of internet. Internet of Things has enabled things to interact more easily in a digital environment.
Every business has evolved or is evolving in the direction of integrating or embracing the Internet of Things. But, with every technological or digital advancement comes the increased risk of a security breach from cyber criminals. Internet of Things, with all its perks, also proves to be a storehouse of the myriad of hacking opportunities for the cyber criminals. With loose security framework and interconnected network, it becomes easier for hackers to breach the security and steal important data and credentials. Hence the need for preventive measures for security breach arises.
Measures For Preventing Security Breach
To provide customers and users a secure environment in this complex technological world of Internet of Things every measure should be taken to preserve the sensitive information. Here are some of the effective preventive measures against security breach of Information:
- Keeping backups is the first prerequisite step in securing the information and data in case of a probable breach. Having a backup is always helpful if a security breach happens you will be easily able to restore the data after rebooting.
- Web application firewalls and real-time backups are one of the most effective measures against security breach on the internet. Web application firewalls protect against DDoS attacks, XSS attacks, and other vector attacks. Real-time backups are really handy as a fallback while the attack is in the process.
- Two-step verification or Two-factor authentication is a good way ensuring security against hacking attacks by adding that extra layer of security in the second step. Keeping longer and complex passwords coupled with this security measure makes the system unbreachable for hacking attacks.
- Encryption is also the most trusted step against information security breach. As the Internet of Things works through various servers and service providers, and is stored in many devices and at this junction hacking attacks happen. Thus encrypting the information is the sensible way of protecting your information and credentials.
- Changing passwords at regular intervals ensures better security reducing the risk of hacking. Educating yourself and the users about probable hacking attacks, constantly keeping track of security measures and testing them and remaining vigilant preparing for the future attacks are some of the basic steps for preventing a security.
- Using cloud services for storing the data with strict permissions and keeping reduced amounts of digitised confidential information can prove to be handy in a situation of a hacking attack.
Thus, ever-expanding Internet of Things (IoT) needs proper preventive measures against information security breach to serve its purpose of digitised interconnectedness.